Wednesday, February 4, 2015

A "MOOD" ADVENTURE


I am so proud to be a part of a very artistic family, not all of whom are artistic in the same vein.  For instance, I love to refurbish furniture and find new ways and new colors to bring new life to old pieces.  My youngest happens to have found her passion in fashion design (or for now, sewing)!  She asked for a sewing machine Christmas 2013 and it took off from there.  She started by learning how to sew from YouTube videos, with pencil pouches as her first project.  We all got pencil pouches, whether we needed one or not;  HA! Once she nailed those, she moved on to making aprons for friends and family by recycling thrift store clothing.  This is where my passion for thrift store shopping really began.  I guess I have my youngest to thank for that. J

 
Her next project was a cute top.  This was the first time she picked out her own fabric at a store.  She wanted a vintage 50’s type look.  Remember Annette Funicello in her early 60’s beach movies?  Wow, I must really be dating myself, but I guess if you remember it too...  J
 
 
After seeing Chloe wear the clothes she made to school (including a few skirts), her choir teacher asked if we (more like Chloe, since I don’t sew) could make 32 sashes for the new choir dresses.  That turned into a huge project!  We had an assembly line of fabric cutters while Chloe did the sewing.  They turned out rather nicely, don’t you think?
 

 Finally, after taking some local sewing classes, she went on an adventure to the well -known “Mood” fabric store in Los Angeles.  Well, I know that the New York store is a lot more popular thanks to Project Runway, but where do you think the fabric comes from when the designer’s debut their Academy Award winning designs??  L.A. MOOD of course.  Okay, probably Paris, but one can dream, right?
 
 
Chloe’s all-day road trip to several fabric stores in Los Angeles was truly an inspirational day for her! One of the highlights though, was getting to meet “Oscar”, Mood’s mascot, a cute little Chihuahua mix.
 
 
 
Her trip was an amazing success.
 

So, after some hard work and HOURS of sewing….voila!

 
I really love the fabric that she chose, and am very impressed with her attention to detail; did you notice the placement of the design on the bodice?  Great job Chloe!! (Hair with the flower is compliments of my oldest daughter. J)
 
 From a proud mom (please excuse my boasting – I just HAD to share),
 
Debbie
 
 
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment